Did You Know: A 3-ounce serving if lamb delivers 23 grams of protein almost 50% of your daily protein needs. Lamb is lean a 3 ounce serving has 175 calories.
Lamb Bolognese Sauce over Pasta or Zoodles
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup chicken or beef stock
- 1 28-ounce can of tomato puree
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound pappadelle pasta or wide fettuccine
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano- Reggiano cheese, freshly shaved or grated for garnish.
For a paleo and gluten free alternative, you can use zucchini noodles: about 3-4 zucchini spiraled, and sauteed in 1 tablespoon if olive oil for 2-4 minutes, or until the zucchini softens.
- Heat the olive oil in large Dutch oven or large saute pan, and saute onion, celery, carrots and garlic until softened.
- Stir in oregano, nutmeg and the tomato paste.
- Add ground lamb and cook until browned and cooked through, breaking up the meat into crumbles. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add red wine, stock, tomato puree and bay leaf. Bring to a low simmer.
- Allow the liquid to reduce by half, about 30 minutes.
- Cover and cook on a low simmer until the sauce is thick, about 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
- cook pasta or zucchini noodles according to directions. Drain well. Toss together pasta or zucchini noodles and sauce.
- Spoon into serving dishes, sprinkle with desired amount of cheese about 1 Tbs per serving. Serve immediately.
taken from americanlamb.com